Recently I had a close friend reach out for advice about a new guy she has been seeing. They’ve been on a few dates, talked about a few serious topics, and are starting to “like” each other.
The one issue is she’s not sure if he is a man of God.
You might be thinking, how can’t she tell? Isn’t that an obvious thing?
The answer is actually no! It’s easy to think that just because a guy is respectful, or talks about his mother in a loving way, he’s a solid man of God, but the truth is there is a lot more to it.
Are you currently dating someone or thinking about dating someone? Are you in a season of singleness and are purposely not dating? Are you married?
The Biblical depiction of what a Godly man looks like applies to every girl, regardless of your current relationship status.
We are told over and over again as girls to go after the Proverbs 31 image. To be calm, to be wise, to be hospitable – which is so important – but we also need to talk more about what a Godly man looks like.
God did not inspire a Proverbs 32 passage on what a man should look like, but that’s because he did throughout the whole Bible! The Bible is packed full of verses that help us discern what a Godly man looks like.
Below I am going to list out 7 characteristics that make up a Godly man. The thing about this type of list is it is endless! Same goes for females. But these are fundamental points about what his relationship with God should look like. There are 4 other sections that we will look at this week, that are important in looking at when thinking about dating someone.
What His Relationship With God Should Be Like:
1. He steps up when God calls him to, taking action and being courageous. “When David heard of it, he sent Joab and all the army, the mighty men…”Be strong, and let us show ourselves courageous for the sake of our people and for the cities of our God; and may the LORD do what is good in His sight.” 2 Samuel 10:7,12
2. He walks humbly with God, knowing who loved him first. “He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” Micah 6:8
3. He lives a life for God, quiet and peaceful in spirit. “For kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.” 1 Timothy 2:2
4. He does not gossip but focuses on growing in his own life, so others can see Jesus through him. “And to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.” 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12
5. He knows the Bible better than any other book. He knows that it is the foundation of all things, and keeps him prosperous because of WHO he puts his faith in. “Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.” Joshua 1:8
6. He is strong and courageous, neither afraid nor discouraged because of his faith in God. “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9
7. He knows the Word, so when asked about his beliefs he can defend and teach. “But sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence.” 1 Peter 3:15
The most important thing to remember is that no one is perfect! Think about yourself and all the things you struggle with. The only man ever to walk this earth that was perfect was Jesus Christ. You can’t expect someone to be perfect but you CAN expect that they work each day to be more like Jesus. What is perfection? Jesus Christ.
This list isn’t here to bring judgment, but to work as a loose basis for what the relationship between Jesus and a true man of God looks like!
Next, we will discuss what his relationship with his wife should look like.
Thoughts For The Day
Are you currently in a relationship with someone? Do they honor the Lord in the ways just discussed? Are you currently single? Are the things we discussed today important to you when dating someone? How can you apply what you learned from the Bible verses above into your criteria for dating?